models wearing the alexander wang fashion night out collection
fashion night out, the cfda, anna wintour and vogue’s plea to get america (and new york specifically) back to shopping started out as a small, grassroots effort. it has now turned into a full-blown extravaganza, with over 700 designers participating and events happening in twelve countries. it also marks the first real time that vogue and the cfda have brought the enthusiasm surrounding fashion week to the masses, with designers popping up all over town promoting their collections and bringing a bit of the runway (courtesy of the fashions, makeup and hair) to the people. if you’re like me, all of the choices of things to see and do can seem a bit daunting. so that’s why i’ve put together a mini list of places to go based on what kind of shopper you are.
top fashion night out events for hard-core shoppers:
1. at dior’s 57th street boutique, get a signed portrait shot by renowed photographer arthur elgort if you spend $2500 or more. in dior, that’s not hard to do.
2. make your own personalized 2.55 handbag at the chanel boutique on 57th street. choose your favorite hardware, lambskin color, lining and chain, then have it monogrammed. while there, get a complimentary manicure in jade, their hot new deep green shade.
3. zac posen will be painting one-of-a-kind creations at bergdorf goodman which will be available for purchase that evening.
4. purchase a dress straight off the spring 2010 runway as bcbg recreates their runway show from earlier in the day at their fifth avenue/40th boutique.
5. phillip lim is reissuing some of his greatest hits at his boutique on mercer street. the five signature styles will have a limited size run and will remain a mystery until 6pm (and are only available until 11pm). lim will also be making a personal appearance.
6. opening ceremony (35 crosby) will have jack mccollough and lazaro hernandez of proenza schouler, alexander wang, laura and kate mulleavy of rodarte and more offering collections made especially for fashion night out and sold out of the back of custom cars with each designers aesthetic. wang’s collection features pieces from his “t” line with graphic cityscapes.
top fashion night out events for the gambler in you:
1. lauren santo domingo will be at the alexander mcqueen store raffling off “the faithful,” their latest it-bag to one lucky shopper.
2. play fashion rules with andré leon talley, donna karan, linda fargo, and robert verdi at bergdorf goodman (enter for a spot on their facebook page)
3. win a makeover with oscar blandi and his team at sephora in soho (555 b’way) valued at $5,000.
4. at lord and taylor, sales associates will be giving out keys that unlock special treasures throughout the store filled with prizes such as vh1 save the music divas concert tickets, a wardrobe from bcbgeneration, or tickets to a fashion week show.
5. at alice + olivia, get your photo taken and enter to win a coveted spot in their fashion week presentation. it could be your face on the runway!
6. fitness expert (and gywn/madge trainer) tracy anderson will be at diane von furstenberg doing a fitness q&a. with any purchase your name will be entered in a raffle for a one-on-one session with anderson, tickets to a diane burch show in nyc and the dvf dress of your choice).
7. win a classic burberry trench (valued at $1295) at the british retailer’s flagship on 57th (near fifth). while you’re there, listen to model lily donaldson spin records (or mp3s) and sip champagne.
8. brides to be should stop by vera wang bridal house (991 madison) to meet with cake master sylvia weinstock, nutritionist oz garcia and more, and enter to win a personal flower arrranging session, a 6 month consultation with garcia, plus treatments from exhale spa.
top fashion night out events for beauty addicts:
1. meet trish mcevoy at henri bendel as she gives tips and tricks to customers.
2. saks will have over 1,000 giveaways along with appearances by aerin lauder, bobbi brown, frederick fekkai and other makeup and beauty artists representing all the brands saks carries.
3. at bluemercury on broadway @ 83rd, bring in a tear from a magazine that you’d like to recreate and have it done by makeup artists from bobbi brown, laura mercier, trish mcevoy or nars.
4. korres (110 wooster near prince) is handing out gift bags of the eco-friendly line’s best sellers and guests can sip on “detox” cocktails made from thyme, honey, and pomegranate.
5. space nk will be doing mini-facials and masks and also giving away samples. (99 greene near spring)
for those of you not in nyc, all neiman marcus locations across the country will be having fashion night out events in store. the sf store promises designers from academy of art university and fall fashion events. and if you’re in l.a., head to ron herman/fred segal for appearances by chan luu, rory beca, jeans maven paige gellar and whitney kroes team sophia coloma and marissa ribisi while at nm nibble on nathan’s hot dogs and factors ny cheesecake and view a trend presentation by vogue west coast editor lisa love.
even if you’re not in a major city, you can get in on the fun by purchasing a fashion night out short sleeve t-shirt on gilt.com or ralphlauren.com (liya is rockin’ the long sleeve tee ($35) above). then give it a diy treatment and photograph it to win teen vogue’s rock the tee contest. two winners will receive tickets to a runway show. no matter if you’re going to be in the city that never sleeps, or a thousand miles away, there are ways for you to feel a part of fashion night out. i can’t wait!
scans by missmagaddict at thefashionspot